Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Stitch Had Better Run

My house has been a circus lately. It started off with a case of food poisoning. Then Little J started teething. Then she started crawling. And I was suddenly in a flurry to baby proof, move things up higher and find the best way to rearrange the furniture so that the least amount of corners are out in the open.

Now, I am aware that some babies start to pick up and master crawling around the 6-7 months. However, Little J took the first wobbly crawling moves Friday, May 6 and she’s already cruising. Quite honestly, I blame Stitch.

He sits across the room, keeping his distance from the baby. But I know he’s taunting her, daring her to come get him. And now that she is mobile he had better run … and he had better run fast.

He had a close call today. He was sitting there, looking at her, daring her to come and get him. And this time she flew across the room. I wasn’t sure if his wide eyes were a look of shock, panic or fear. Maybe it was all three. Either way he realized he was in some deep kitty doo if he didn’t move. In less than 30 seconds he had gone from lounging to sitting, and then realized that moving away from the baby who was gaining ground was probably a smarter plan of action.

Luckily for him I intercepted her just when she was close enough to take a swipe at his whiskers. He sat there, frozen. I think he was in a state of shock.

Hopefully next time he’ll figure it out sooner than later. There will be a time when she’s too fast for even I to intercept.

For your entertainment … Little J’s first face plant as she “gets” the crawling down. I apologize for the grainy quality. My cell phone is not the best at video, but that’s what we had when she figured out how to crawl.

3 comments:

  1. Adorable. It won't be long before it will be leaps and bounds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I spent three days with my friend Hollye ( a writer here as well) while she fought for her dog Stitch against a bevy of people who all claim to own him. She will win I am sure. But Stitch has become part of my lexicon now and with this added story Wow. The Stitches of the world better unite.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They definitely should. I'll have to go back and read more about Hollye's Stitch.

    ReplyDelete