Wednesday, May 11, 2011

For The Love of Cats

Normally with online communities you hear scary stories about how some stalker found your home because you shared too much info. But there are very positive things that can happen from an online community. I have a really heartwarming story to share from the CatChannel.com online community Club Cat.

A couple of months ago one of our members became very ill and had to be hospitalized. Some of our other members helped out by going to her house to help feed and care for her cats. Sadly the member passed away. She didn’t have any immediate family members and her cats had no one to care for them. But the kindness of the other Club Cat members didn’t stop there. A massive effort was made to find homes for her cats.

Some members traveled across the nation from the West coast to the East Coast and others from the South to up North and back again. Some of the people involved in this re-homing mission were relatives of Club Cat members. Long story short, all of her cats were placed in a new loving home (mostly with other Club Cat members).

Ever since I started working in the pet industry I’ve given some thought to what would happen to Stitch in the event that I couldn’t care for him anymore. I would hope that my parents or my sister might take him in. I keep telling myself one of these days I’ll write it all down and put some money aside just for him. Hopefully though, we won’t have to act on the plan.

I guess most people wouldn’t think much of it since he’s a “Cat.” But us other people get it. Our pets aren’t just a “cat” or a “dog” or a “bird.” Our pets become a part of the family and they too need to be included in a plan whether it be an emergency plan or when planning a vacation.

With all the crazy in the world it’s nice to know that there are kind-hearted people out there willing to step up and help out someone (to some a complete stranger) in need … or in this case the love for cats helped care for her cats.

2 comments:

  1. Cats, and dogs, are the kids you agree to raise, knowing they are toddlers who will never grow up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with setting up plans if you are no longer able to care for you animals.

    ReplyDelete