Monday, September 10, 2012

The Baby is Here


The new baby is here and the cats are pissed! Baby Reia was born at the end of July at a healthy 8lbs 3oz. We brought her home the next day and I got quite a bit of attitude from both Jackelyn and the cats.

Jackelyn, who is almost 2 years old, gave me a look that clearly said “You brought it home?!” Jackelyn was the first of the kids to meet the baby and she was not pleased at the hospital and was even more not pleased to see that I actually brought the baby back with me. On a good note, Jackelyn now loves her baby sister.

Stitch gave me a look that clearly said “Another one?!” I’m fairly certain he was thinking “I just got this last one trained and you dare to bring a new one home?” This look was later combined with looks of pure annoyance when both Jackelyn and the baby were crying. Jackelyn was crying because she wanted me to hold her and the baby was crying because she was hungry. Stitch glared at me and walked into another room that was across the house from the crying.

Gordita gave me a look that, I’m fairly certain, said “What the hell is that?!” Gordita didn’t meet Jackelyn until she was a couple of months old and missed out on the joys of having a newborn. She also didn’t move into our home until Jackelyn was about 10 months old. I try to remind myself that Gordita is just a cranky, old lady cat and tend to forgive her. While she is still pissed at me about bringing the baby home, she has at least warmed up to Jackelyn. I think it’s more a situation where Gordita views Jackelyn as another hand to pet her now that she knows how to actually pet a cat the right way.

I think Stitch is still not willing to completely forgive me just yet for bringing home another child. He spends many days staring (pouting) at me holding the baby. Although he has joined me, Jackelyn and Baby Reia on the couch while we are cuddling. I take it as a sign that there is some hope in getting some form of forgiveness from him. I have been making sure that I do make time for Stitch, just like I make time for Jackelyn for some one-on-one time. While spending time with my children is amazing, there is still a different type of comfort in cuddling with a fuzzy kitty on the couch.

No comments:

Post a Comment