Tuesday, April 5, 2011

3 Ways Infants and Cats are Alike

Way 1 – They Depend on You to Feed Them
Little J is starting off on some of her homemade baby fruit and veggie mush. As soon as she is put in her high chair she opens her mouth waiting for that first bite. And she keeps opening it until I spoon in some of the deliciousness. Even more extreme, she will yell and yell at me until I nurse her. If I don’t get to her in time (because maybe I was trying to take a real shower while she was napping) she turns the real tears on and the real crying begins. As soon as I go to nurse her she makes sure to take a break from nursing to tell me a thing or two.

Stitch will meow, and meow, and meow until I go and put food in his bowl. And if there is left over food still in his bowl from the last meal he will continue to meow, and meow, and meow until I dump the old food back into the container and scoop him a new scoop. Even more extreme, if it’s a weekend morning and I decide to try and sleep in he will stalk me. He will sit outside my door until I wake up and as soon as he either senses I’m awake or he hears me moving around he starts meowing to feed him. Sometimes if the door is cracked he will sit at the edge of the doorway and stare at me. He will stare at me until my eyes flutter open in a paranoid frenzy because I can feel that I’m being watched. It’s creepy.

Way 2 – They Both Enjoy a Clean Place to Poop
Does your cat sit by the door to whatever the room his litter box is in and watch you clean it? Stitch does. He watches you with those yellow eyes as you dig around for buried treasure. He watches as you pour in the new litter. And you’ll have just stepped out the door when he tears pass the door way, bolts into the litter box and takes a big smelly one. Luckily for me I have older children to pass this frustration on to. So from my view point it’s kind of funny, but not so much to them.

Little J does the same thing. I’ll change her diaper and then a minute later she’s got that crunched up look of concentration on her face as she takes a big smelly one. I’ve gone through three diapers in a matter of 5 minutes once simply because I just apparently didn’t have the patience to wait for her to be completely done doing her thing.

I guess I can’t really blame them. I’m not a fan of using port-a-potties.

Way 3 – Trimming Nails is a Main Event
Now I’m not sure whose nails are easier to trim between Little J and Stitch. Both of them flail around. Stitch growls at me while I trim his. I always give him a treat after a nail trimming session in the hopes that he will associate getting his nails trimmed with getting a treat. For the past five years that I’ve owned Stitch this method has not worked. I still give him a treat though for simply having to put up with the duty which benefits me more than him.

Little J simply has more joints to move. She flexes her fingers, flails her feet and hands around, and wiggles her fingers. It’s a little nerve frazzling because I don’t want to cut her while doing it. But the way that she pinches at me and scrapes her nails across my skin it’s a necessity. At least she doesn’t growl like Stitch does. It makes me feel a little less like I’m doing horrible, horrible things when I’m trying to trim her nails.

This is an older photo of Stitch and Little J. But they're pretty much always together ... both fighting for a spot on my lap. (More Stitch squeezing as much of his body as possible onto whatever small part of my lap isn't being taken up by her.)

No comments:

Post a Comment