Thursday, September 1, 2011

I Know Why My Cats Sleep All Day


At least I think I’ve stumbled upon why my cats sleep all day. The last couple of nights I’ve had some nasty bouts with insomnia. I’ve spent the last two nights reading in bed. The cats kept coming in to check on me. I’d feel a wet nose, a brush of whisker or would get startled from my reading by a “meow?” I think they kept tag teaming me too because both of them would come in at different times and then disappear again into the hallway.

Last night after reading for about an hour and a half I got really bored and really annoyed with the cat checkups. I figured maybe I ought to give them a midnight snack. I went downstairs and gave each of them a couple of treats. Then I sat down at my computer to peruse though my email and Facebook for a while. Around 1:22am I heard a thud and a squeak. I looked over my shoulder to see Gordita sitting on the baby swing. Her weight got the thing swinging and she sat there lounging in the swing for a couple of minutes. I heard another thud when she jumped out.

Then suddenly, with wild glassy eyes, both Gordita and Stitch bolted through the doorways of the downstairs. They ran through the kitchen, across the covered porch, through the bathroom, through the guest room and into the family room. Once there they would stop, look around and then bolt again. A couple of times they even flopped onto their backs and wriggled and then jumped up again in one smooth, fluid motion.

I wondered if they had a stash of catnip somewhere that I didn’t know about. Or perhaps there was a full moon or maybe the tide was high and I didn’t pay attention to the crazy energy going on. Maybe it’s the opposite for felines. Perhaps they go straight up crazy when the moon is a crescent. Regardless, they were having quite the cat party.

I’ve concluded that this is why they sleep all day. They have to rest up for all the crazy shenanigans they’ll be getting into at night. They also checked on me all night because just like a rebellious teen waiting for the parents to go to bed so he/she can sneak out … the cats wanted to have fun. I guess by night three though of me staying up late they figured that they would just party whether I was there or not.

Here they are ... resting up for tonight's cat party.


2 comments: